Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority,
Incorporated is committed to being of "service to all mankind." From
2014-2018, our programs will focus on Launching New Dimensions of Service℠ throughout East Central Illinois. Under the leadership of Dorothy Buckhanan Wilson, 29th International President, we will implement programs under the following international targets.
- ASCEND℠ - Alpha Kappa Alpha's signature youth enrichment program will motive high school students to reach their full potential. It focuses on Achievement, Self Awareness, Communication, Engagement, Networking and Development Skills. Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter will work with students from Champaign, Danville, and Urbana high schools with the goal of teaching professionalism while providing mentorship and access to resources.
- One Million Backpacks℠ The Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter will donate and distribute backpacks and school supplies to community students as part of this international program focus, The chapter plans to distribute these items in August at Champaign-Urbana Day. The Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter will donate and distribute backpacks and school supplies to community students as part of this international program focus, The chapter plans to distribute these items in August at Champaign-Urbana Day.
- Think HBCU℠ - The
sorority's national campaign to highlight and support Historically
Black Colleges and Universities through education, engagement and
advocacy. Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter
will educate high school students about HBCUs through our ASCEND program. Each
year, the chapter plans to take ASCEND students to visit an HBCU to expose
students to campus life and the value of attending an institution of higher
learning, while providing them with a chance to visit historically significant
landmarks. the sorority's national campaign to highlight and support
Historically Black Colleges and Universities through education, engagement and
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated advocates health education, support and healthy living in the following areas:
- Alzheimer's Disease and Caregiver Support Program – Alzheimer’s Disease is one of the fastest growing health concerns among African Americans, and according to the Alzheimers’ Association, almost two-thirds of Americans living with Alzheimer’s Disease are women. Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter members will garner support and generate awareness on Alzheimer's by fundraising for and participating in the annual Alzheimer’s Walk held in Champaign IL, implementing Alzheimer’s awareness programs, and visiting local Nursing Homes to provide support to Alzheimer’s patients.
- Stroke and Heart Disease Awareness - Alpha Kappa Alpha's focus remains on stroke prevention, hypertension management, a healthy diet and consistent exercise. Epsilon Epsilon Omega will continue to advance this subtarget by participating in the sorority’s Pink Goes Red initiative for heart health awareness month, and organizing a health fair that focuses on heart health and stroke prevention, among other things.
- Mental Health – Through various workshops focusing on mental illness education, Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter will highlight the impact of mental illness among diverse populations and encourage utilization of mental health services
- Childhood Hunger Initiatives – According to the Eastern Illinois Foodbank, Champaign County's poverty rate is 23.4% - the 3rd highest in Illinois. Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter will help end hunger by partnering with local agencies, food banks and community partners to donate, package and distribute food for Champaign County families in need. Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter also volunteers regularly at St. Luke CME Church in Champaign, to prepare and distribute foods for families.
- Family Seasonal Wraps℠ - Alpha Kappa Alpha's major initiative to provide hats, scarves, gloves and other seasonal-appropriate materials for families in need. Throughout the year, the Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter will provide seasonal wraps to local families in need.
- Fiscal Responsibility Programs - Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter will promote fiscal intelligence, basic financial planning and home ownership through workshops and organizational partnerships.
Alpha Kappa Alpha will encourage safe environments and "green living" in underserved communities in the following ways:
- The AKA 1908 Playground Project℠ & Restore, Refresh and Renew Project℠ - Nationwide, sorority members will restore and renew 1,908 existing community and school playgrounds. Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter will work to identify areas throughout the Champaign-Urbana and Danville communities needing improvement.
- Acts of Green Program℠ - The promotion of environment sustainability through recycling, litter prevention and waste management. Epsilon Epsilon Omega Chapter will plan recycling drives to promote environmental health.
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will introduce the UNA-USA Global Classrooms Project to prepare students for the global, 21st century. The sorority's partnership with the United Nations Association will help expand youth's knowledge of the UN, its mission and focus
- Alpha Kappa Alpha will continue its Africare partnership, implementing youth hunger initiatives on the continent of Africa